Make 24 Servings
1. Dissolve the yeast and 2 tablespoons white sugar in the warm milk.
2. Sift flour into a large bowl, make a well in the center and add the yeast mixture, egg yolks, salt, nutmeg, butter and remaining sugar. Stir flour into center. Once combined turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface knead until dough is elastic. Cover and let dough rise overnight in the refrigerator.
3. Remove dough from the refrigerator and roll on a lightly floured surface to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 2 inch rounds. Cover and let rise for about 15 to 20 minutes.
4. In a medium bowl combine the cottage cheese, egg, 3 tablespoons white sugar and vanilla. Beat until well combined.
5. Form dough rounds into a ball and insert about 2 teaspoons of cheese filling into half of the rounds and 2 teaspoons of preserves into the other half.
6. In a heavy pot, pour in oil to about the 2 1/2 inch mark. Heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Drop sufganiot (doughnuts) into the oil, turning when browned. Drain on paper towels and roll in confectioners’ sugar.
2½ teaspoons – active dry yeast
¼ cup – white sugar
¾ cup – warm milk (110 degrees F – 45 degrees C)
2½ cups – all-purpose flour
2 egg yolks
¼ teaspoon – Salt
1 teaspoon – ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons – butter, softened
½ cup – drained cottage cheese
½ cup – white sugar
1 teaspoon – vanilla extract
2 cups – vegetable oil
½ cup – confectioners’ sugar